Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Mini Poundcake Gingerbread Houses


 Despite my extremely limited baking skills, it seems as December approaches I invariably have the sudden desire to create those most complex of confections: a Gingerbread house. 
Past experiences have not gone well, resulting in collapsed roofs, piles of crumbs, an entire bottle of Elmer's glue and a quickly scribbled sign "Do Not Eat!"
In an effort to scale down my culinary expectations, I thought I'd attempt an easier mini version of a Gingerbread house with all of the spicy flavor, snowy icing, sweet details and none of the heartbreak.

You'll Need

gingerbread pound cake (bought or homemade)
white chocolate melts or almond bark
your choice of assorted candies, sprinkles and cake decorations
finely shredded coconut 
freeze gingerbread until firm
using a sharp knife cut into house-like shapes
I first cut in blocks then carved off diagonal sections for roof
brush crumbs off and return to freezer. 
Melt chocolate according to package directions, letting cool just slightly
Carefully dip roof of houses in white chocolate. Set houses on wax paper  letting some drip off like icicles. Top with sprinkles if desired or candy accents. I put some melted chocolate in a plastic baggie, snipped off the tip and piped some details like doors and windows.
 Since the houses are quite small I kept them relatively simple 
I opted for a snowy white theme but use your favorite holiday colors
Let harden completely and display on a bed of snowy coconut or powdered sugar.
You can set them on a tiered stand
or create a little town on a long tray
serve with a warm cup of tea 
Of course wasting cake is frowned upon in our household, so you can layer the leftover gingerbread scraps into an impromptu trifle with ice cream or Greek yogurt!

Gingerbread Fun Facts
    
  
The first gingerbread recipe is believed to be one from Greece from the year 2400BC!  

Henry the Vlll is thought to have eaten a ginger mixture in hopes of avoiding the plague!
  
Gingerbread houses appeared in Germany in the 16th century and were often decorated with gold leaf!
  
In 2006 the world's biggest Gingerbread house constructed in Texas required a building permit!

For these and more on the 
fascinating history of Gingerbread visit
 www.pbsfood

Wishing Everyone 
a
Sweet Holiday Season!




16 comments:

  1. I cracked up when I read about the Elmer's glue. Hee! Your gingerbread poundcakes are almost too pretty to eat! I've been on the hunt for gingerbread ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margie- yes, my glue disaster is now a family holiday legend lol- So glad you liked the post- Gingerbread ice would be divine! Someone must make a version- I'll let you know if I come across any :)
      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Dearest Christina
    I'm feeling so enchanted with your masterpiece !
    If it's true that what you create is always stunning and heartwarming, well, this time you've truly outdone yourself !

    Hope you're having the best of weeks,
    I'm sending blessings of joy,
    thinking of you with so much thankfulness and sincere love


    Xx Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniela,

      You are so sweet, Thank You! These are really so easy to make.
      I can't believe the holidays are around the corner already! I am going to try to make a "real" gingerbread house this season and hope for the best :)

      Hope all is well and wishing you all the joys of the season!
      Christina

      Delete
  3. These are so cute! And paint me green and call me Gumby, but I have never heard of gingerbread pound cake before. Gosh that sounds good. What a genius way to make gingerbread houses. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm stealing that line!- and call me Gumby too - this is the first time I've ever seen them in my supermarket so I thought I'd give them a try- They actually taste about the same as regular gingerbread- maybe it's the poundcake shape- so glad you enjoyed the project- Thanks for Visiting!
      Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Christina, I think this is a great way to go, especially for all the people who are trying to simplify their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yes, the holidays can be so super busy! They are very simple to make and everyone can have their own for dessert :)

      Delete
  5. How adorable! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really sweet. Thank you for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure how I missed this post but thee are just darling. They would be the talk of any party at Christmas! Thanks for sharing and sorry I didn't see this before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bernideen!
      Please don't be sorry - I just realized I missed three comments!
      The holidays had everyone so busy I'm just now catching up
      So glad you enjoyed the project :)

      Delete

Love to hear your comments and suggestions! Because of excessive spam we are currently asking for that pesky word verification